All volunteers for activities including children or vulnerable adults have appropriate DBS certification and have completed the Diocesan training for Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults.
Primary and preschool age children are involved in the life of our churches in a variety of ways.
Sunday 10am Junior church/Sunday school provision is available in all three churches. In St Mary’s and St Francis a quiet area is designated where infants and small children can play safely. Children also assist in the worship as Altar Servers from the age of 7 in both St Mary at Stoke and St Francis. In St Mary’s and St Francis children may also receive communion prior to confirmation, after suitable preparation.
Wednesday 10.30am Chapel Tots (1st Wednesday each month). Time to worship for preschool children and parents, with nursery rhyme prayers and a story. We meet in the Chapel in St Francis Church.
Friday 3.30pm (2nd Friday each Month) Messy Church for primary children and their parents. Art, craft, fun, games, food and fellowship together. St Mary’s Church Hall.
Older Children and young adults
Older children play a full part in the worship of the church, and they occasionally read and frequently serve in services. We also aim to meet together monthly on a Wednesday evening to chat about the big issues and faith questions of life.
The Children’s Charter has been adopted by the PCC and the three churches in this parish:
- Our church will welcome children and will value and encourage them and their families.
- Our church will endeavour to provide a safe, sacred space which allows for the needs of children.
- Our church will provide a variety of activities for everyone, including children.
- Our church will pursue ways of worshipping which enable all to offer God worship in relevant ways.
- Adults and children are equal partners in the Body of Christ: our church will encourage children to share and use their gifts both within our church family and in the wider community.
- Learning is for the whole church and our church will help children to learn about God as we continue on our journey of faith together.
- Our church will acknowledge the spiritual insight of children and be willing to explore and be creative with them.
- Our church will encourage and support children in the serving of others.
- Our church family will “work, rest and play” together – we will have fun in our life together.